Beccles Townlands Charity
Built in the 16th century, Leman House is a Grade 1 building which in 1631 was endowed as a school by Sir John Leman. Today it is the headquarters of the Beccles Townlands Charity and also houses the Beccles Museum.
Founded in 1544, Beccles Townlands Charity has been a continuous presence in the town since that date, with Its original assets derived from the Guild of the Holy Ghost. It exists purely for the good of the people of Beccles.
Read about the long history of the Beccles Townlands Charity (often referred to as Beccles Feoffees) on our history page. The Feoffees, or Trustees, manage the Charity, look after its assets and finances and make grants to local people and organisations. Local in this case is strictly defined as within the Beccles Town Boundary and grants and assistance can only be provided to people within that area (basically covered by the postcode NR34 9).
The Charity is based at Leman House in Ballygate, Beccles where you can contact them. This fine old building, owned by the Charity, also houses the Beccles Museum.